WHY SHEPHERD PIE?
For one to understand the best Shepherd Pie Recipe ever for Cavemen, it is important for one to understand the ingredients of Shepherd/Shepherds’ Pie, how made and the low number of carbohydrates per delicious serving whether one is practicing The Best Keto Diet Plan for Beginners or otherwise.
This is because an ordinary Shepherd Pie recipe is loaded with high carbs and delivers a shocking amount of high glycemic carbohydrates per meal.
WHAT IS SHEPHERD PIE
As with standard Shepherd Pie It is a homely and warming thing.
It serves as the coziest comfort on a wintry night.
The comfort factor comes from fresh ingredients selected for the very purpose of assembling the Shepherd Pie.
Shepherd Pie was initially made from ground lamb and winter vegetable seasoning in the pot and then baked.
But as the prevlance of it has grown the lamb portion is now being often substituted for by using either beef, chicken or even fish as one desires.
It is a very inexpensive, wholesome and simple comfort dish.
The Keto version of it is comprised of using Cauliflower in place of the high glycemic potato.
The Caveman’s Shepherd Pie is a deliciously satisfying meal which is very low in Carbohydrates.
Note the average non Caveman has no knowledge that he can enjoy the Shepherd Pie and still stay in ketosis.
Keto Shepherd Pie is a great meal that is absent any high glycemic carbs.
The Keto Caveman elects not to go down the high carb route and remains on the Ketogenic diet, as did his DNA ancestors, for hundreds of thousands of years.
This Caveman Keto comfort food recipe provides for 5 servings delivering less than 10 carbs per meal of which 3 carbs are from good fiber.
Thus, one only gets 7 net carbs per delicious meal!
HISTORY OF SHEPHERD PIE
It was in the 1600s that Shepherd Pie first came into prominence.
Housewives back then were on the very frugal side and watched what they spent on meals.
They were very good at looking for ways to incorporate leftovers at which their husband and children would turn up their noses.
Thus, the now famous Shepherd Pie came about as a way to put daily leftovers to good use.
The results of using the leftovers turned out to be a much sought after and delicious comfort food which became known as the Shepherd Pie/Shepherds Pie.
Recipes began to vary widely but still had the same basic structure.
Some of its main variations substitute for lamb other desirable meats as described previously.
Regardless, the resulting pie is comforting and delicious that warms one from the inside out.
The Shepherd Pie can be found at every Irish pub one visits and though they vary from pub to pub, one will always find each variation still delivers a great comfort and delicious experience.
ADVANTAGE OF INCORPORATING CAULIFLOWER VS POTATOES
As explained, an ordinary Shepherd Pie uses high carb potatoes which lead to Insulin Resistance whereas the Caveman’s Shepherd Pie uses the healthy Cauliflower.
Some of the amazing health benefits provided by delicious Cauliflower are that it:
- Keeps one’s bones healthy. Cauliflower contains vitamin C, which helps with collagen production and vitamin K, which may help prevent bone loss
- Helps the body detox from harmful substances
- Contains Indole-3-carbinol, a phytonutrient that has been shown to aid the liver in its detox functions
- Is valuable in reducing one’s blood pressure
- Boosts HDL cholesterol (the good kind) levels and lowers blood pressure
- Strengthens one’s immune system and helps reduce the risk of cancer
- Has anti inflammatory properties
- Helps protect cells from DNA damage and may also help inactivate carcinogens
- Is filling and reduces one’s cravings
- Prevents Oxidative Stress
- Prevents Stomach Disorders
- Cauliflower is a source of dietary fiber that aids in digestion
- Promotes the elimination of toxins from the body
- Combats disorders such as stomach ulcers and colon cancer
- Enhances Iron absorption
- Helps prevent Macular Degeneration
- Enhances hair growth and its health
- Promotes Healthy skin
- Treats Respiratory Problems
- Treats Nervous Disorders
- Helps Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases
- Prevents hardening of the arteries
- Maintains Electrolyte Balance
- Promotes healthy nervous system
- Boosts Immunity
- Is rich in antioxidants and immune-strengthening nutrients
- Inhibits various infections
- Strengthens the defense mechanisms of the body
- Decreases disease-causing inflammation
- Prevents Obesity and helps in the stimulation of fat-burning thermogenesis
- Aids in weight loss
- Controls Diabetes potassium
- Combats high blood sugar in the body
- Enhances the tolerance of glucose in patients with gestational diabetes
- Heals Colitis
- Has a healing effect on the damage incurred in colon tissues and the colon epithelium
- Prevents Stroke
- Aids in the cleansing of the liver and the blood.
MANUFACTURING OF THE BEST SHEPHERD PIE RECIPE EVER
1. CAVEWOMAN’S TOOLS NEEDED
Yes I need to get a great Stick Blender!, then the Stick blender of choice that one should GET and ADD TO CART is the outstanding Mueller Ultra-Stick 500 Watt 9-Speed Powerful Immersion Multi-Purpose Hand Blender Heavy Duty Pure Copper Motor, Normal, Silver.
The amazing features it offers are:
- ❤ sophisticated design – the ergonomic grip offers a non-slip and comfortable grip when continuously blending ingredients.
- ❤ Exceptional quality – the full copper motor withstands continuous use and Will last 3x longer than competitor’s motors.
- ❤ versatility – the removable blending arm with Fixed blade locks into the motor body for easy operation. The stainless steel s-shaped Fixed blade quickly blends ingredients for smoothies, milk shakes, soups or baby food and the quality whisk attachment is a perfect addition.
- ❤ European quality – American – 100% 2 year so you can buy with Confidence and blend happily ever after.
- ❤ included items – hand blender, whisk & manual
- SLOTTED SPOON
- Nylon Slotted Spoon is perfect for straining vegetables
- Great for retrieving items from the pot of cooking water to test for dryness etc.
- Sturdy nylon is safe for non-stick cookware
- Heat resistant to 400°F
- Soft, comfortable grip
- SERVING PLATES OR SERVING BOWLS
- FORKS OR SPOONS AS DESIRED INSTEAD OF THE CAVEMAN USING HANDS
2. CAVEMAN INGREDIENTS NEEDED
CAVE PIE INGREDIENTS
- 8 ounces Beef stock
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 pounds Ground Beef
- 1 medium zucchini diced
- 3 large tomatoes diced
- 1 medium Onion diced
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin olive oil
- 7 ounces cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon thyme fresh
- Other low glycemic leftover veggies in reasonable amounts
CAVE MASH INGREDIENTS
- 28 ounces Cauliflower, which needs to be cut into florets
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 3.5 ounces Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 3 ounces Butter
- 1 teaspoon Salt, Sea Salt always best
CAVE TOPPING INGREDIENT
- 2.5 ounces grated Cheddar Cheese
3. MANUFACTURING PROCEDURE
The finished Shepherd Pie will basically be comprised of three Components which are:
- The Meat Veggie mixture,
- The Mash, and
- The Topping
1. MAKING THE MEAT/ VEGGIE MIXTURE
- A. Place a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the oil, onion, garlic, thyme and salt and saute until the onion is beginning to turn translucent.
- Break up the ground beef and add to the saucepan. Brown the mixture while breaking it into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon.
- B. When the mixture is browned, add the diced tomatoes and stock.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and simmer for 5 minutes before turning off the heat.
- Pour the mixture into one’s casserole dish and set aside to cool slightly.
- C. Mix Well The Items from A and B above.
- D. Start Preheat of oven to 400 F/205C.
2. MAKING THE MASH TO BE SPOONED IN ON TOP OF MEAT MIXTURE
- Bring a saucepan ⅔ filled with water to a boil
- Add the Cauliflower
- Cook for 10 minutes, or until the Cauliflower is tender.
- Drain the Cauliflower well then return to the saucepan
- Add the butter.
- Blend the Cauliflower into a mash using a stick blender.
- Add the cheese and blend until melted and mixed through.
- Add the egg yolks, salt and pepper
- Blend all very well.
3. SPOON THE MASH ON TOP OF MEAT MIXTURE
- Spoon the mash on the top of the Meat Pie mixture
- Spread evenly.
4. FORMING THE TOPPING
- Top OFF the Cauliflower mash with cheddar cheese.
5. COMPLETING THE SHEPHERD PIE
- Bake in the oven at 400F/205C for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is browned.
- Remove from the oven, and dispense to Hungry Cavemen and CaveWomen
THE AMAZING NUTRITION VALUES OF THE BEST SHEPHERD PIE RECIPE EVER
This Recipe provides for 5 Servings with the following allocations:
- Serving Size: 300g
- Carbohydrates: 10g / 10%
- Fat: 57g / 58%
- Protein: 32g / 32%
- Calories: 649kcal
Enjoy and eat the Caveman Shepherd Pie meal with the peace of mind that one has not destroyed one’s healthy state of ketosis.
And, with the knowledge that the Keto pie is a very healthy meal.
Every bite will be health-enhancing!
WHAT HAS ONE SACRIFICED?
In a word, “nothing” is sacrificed!
Because harmful high carbohydrate meals are notorious for causing a huge Insulin Response one is not subjected to this bad effect.
The Insulin Response will ensure that one’s belly fat enjoys and eats one’s keto Shepherd Pie meal.
Due to the power of the hormone Insulin, one’s belly will steal one’s high carb regular pie meal as explained in the “How To Amazingly Lose Belly Fat Fast, With No Hunger?“ post.
Insulin is why fat people get hungry even though they have a belly full of calories that they cannot use for energy.
Insulin drives fat into the body and prevents the body from releasing it for energy.
Further, this is why ordinary Shepherd Pie meals are equated with gaining weight and causing a fat belly.
BEAUTY OF THE BEST CAVEMAN KETO SHEPHERD PIE
The beauty of this Caveman Keto Shepherd Pie recipe is twofold:
Firstly, it allows one to enjoy the pleasure of eating a Shepherd Pie while obtaining the health benefits of its contents.
And secondly, it demonstrates that sacrifices made by one on The Ketogenic Diet for Healthy Longevity are not necessary, as they can be offset by equally pleasurable healthy products such as this keto Shepherds Pie.
This is not Medical Advice. Nothing herein this article should be considered or used as any personal medical advice, and one should always consult with one’s personal Doctor before making any changes in one’s diet, routine or following any information given, suggested or provided herein. No statements herein have been approved by the FDA.
QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS
Please advise below any comments and/or questions you have regarding this post.
Also, what additional topics or subjects would you like to have covered in a future post?
Ted, Founder of this Keto-Longevity.com site
Twitter: Ted at Twitter